Home | Graduate Program | Master of Arts in Music History (MA)
Master of Arts (MA) in Music History
The MA in Music History provides opportunities for continued development of musical insights, scholarly competencies, and the enhancement of interests in musical and related non-musical areas. This liberal graduate education is designed to prepare a student to pursue a career in college teaching, especially as preparation for doctoral studies in music history or musicology.
Entrance into the MA degree program requires completion of a bachelor’s degree in music (or demonstrated equivalent), a GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 credit-hours, and additional prerequisites listed below. In the event that a candidate does not meet the required prerequisites, appropriate additional course(s) will be added as requirements to the degree program.
- Keyboard competency as is typically developed in an undergraduate music degree program
- 4 semesters of languages: 2 semesters each of French, Italian, or German
- 3 courses beyond the core music history courses (Music 2307, 2308 at MU)
- Freshman/sophomore music theory courses
- 1 semester of orchestration
- 1 course in counterpoint (3 credits or equivalent)
- 1 course in Western civilization
- 1 course in European history prior to 1800
In addition to studies in the major field, required studies include performance, theory, research skills, and electives.
Specific requirements include the following:
- Proficiency Exams in music theory and music history are administered during new student orientation and two other times each year. Click here for more information.
- Applied auditions for non-performance majors will be held to determine studio placement and level of study.
- Each MA candidate must pass a Comprehensive Exam. Click here for more information.
- MA degree candidates must satisfactorily complete a thesis on an approved topic and must pass a final oral examination, administered by a faculty committee, about their projects.
- Graduation Approval: A signed report by the faculty thesis committee must be forwarded to the Graduate School before graduation can be approved for any MA candidate.
Course of Study
|| Introduction to Graduate Studies I (2 credits)
|| Introduction to Graduate Studies II (1 credit)
|| Music History courses (8-10 credits)
|| Research (Thesis) (4-8 credits)
|| Advanced Theory courses (4-8 credits)
|| Applied Music (2-8 credits)
|| Non-music electives (2-4 credits)
|Total credits: 33
|At least 15 credits must be 8000 level.