MADSM Collegiate Composition Competition
The Missouri Association of Schools and Departments of Music (MADSM) is co-sponsoring with the Mizzou New Music Ensemble a competition for original chamber compositions for high school-level musicians. This initiative is to encourage the creation of new music for small ensemble to be performed at the high school level and above, loosely adhering to the American Band College Music Grades 4-5 guidelines as described here.
Works must be 5-7 minutes in length, and written for 3-5 players consisting of:
- Flute (including C flute, alto flute, and/or bass flute)
- Clarinet in B-flat (including bass clarinet)
- Kick bass drum with pedal
- Snare drum (sticks or brushes)
- Medium Suspended cymbal
- Small Accessories found in an average high school: triangle, tambourine, wood block, cowbell, wind chimes
Composers can submit in one of two categories:
- Undergraduate students currently enrolled in any MADSM member institutions.
- Graduate students currently enrolled in any MADSM member institutions.
Winning composers will be invited to the University of Missouri, where their winning pieces will be workshopped and recorded by the Mizzou New Music. The ensemble will then premiere the works at the Missouri Music Educators Conference in January 2019, with the goal of attracting future opportunities on concert programs around the state.
Scores and recordings should be submitted via Acceptd by Friday, September 14, 2018. The winners will be announced by Monday, November 12th. Winning composers will be invited to attend any rehearsals of the piece and the workshop/recording session at their own expense. The composers are expected to attend the premiere at the MMEA conference if at all possible.
Follow the Online Application Guidelines:
- Pay the $22.00 application fee.
- Upload one score of an original work with instrumentation selected from the above instrumentation
- Upload a MIDI recording of the submitted composition.
- The piece should be 5-7 minutes in length.
- Upload a short bio (500 words max)
- A signed note from your composition teacher or Department Chair stating that you are currently enrolled as a full-time student at your institution (this may be scanned)