Experiencing Piano for Adults
Experiencing Piano for Adults is the only program at Mizzou that provides group keyboard study for adults. Weekly classes are taught on campus by Mizzou graduate piano students, and the program is coordinated by Meghan Speed. Integrating a holistic study of the keyboard — sight-reading, harmony, theory basics, and repertoire — this semester-long non-credit course offers a social, engaging, and low-stress introduction on how to play the piano. Each class has a capacity of 12 students — maximizing the opportunity for group learning. Each student will learn both solo and duet repertoire. As part of our Community Music @ Mizzou, this also functions as a teaching internship for our graduate Piano Pedagogy students, who lead the classes.
- Level 1: For beginning piano students who either have never taken piano lessons, or have taken lessons many years ago.
- Level 2: For elementary level piano students who have either taken Level 1, or have had previous piano experience.
If you are unsure of your level, please consult with Meghan Speed to determine the appropriate class level for you.
Tuition & Payment
- Fall Semester: $250 (includes instruction, books and materials). $25 portion of tuition is due no later than one week before the first class.
- Spring Semester: $250 (includes instruction, books and materials). $25 portion of tuition is due no later than one week before the first class.
- Summer Intensive: $200 (includes instruction, books, and materials). $25 portion of tuition is due no later than one week before the first class.
Remaining tuition is due prior to or on the first day of group class. Tuition in most cases is non-refundanble.
- Credit card payments can be made in-person at 140 Fine Arts Building (the main music office) Monday – Friday 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 5pm. You may also call (573) 882-2606 to make a payment. If someone is unable to answer your call, please leave a message with your name and phone number and we will return your call as soon as possible.
- Checks should be made out to the MU School of Music and can be dropped off or mailed to the address below. Please indicate the name of the applicant on the check.
- Cash is only accepted in-person at the music office.
Community Music Program
140 Fine Arts Building
Columbia, MO 65211
Fall Semester 2019 (12 sessions): September 10-December 3
- Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30pm in the Piano Lab, Hillel 101
- No class Thanksgiving week (Nov. 26).
Spring Semester 2020 (12 sessions): dates TBA
- Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30 pm in the Piano Lab, new music building
- No class during Spring Break (March 24)
Summer 2019 (8 sessions): June 4-July 23 CANCELLED
- Tuesdays, 5:30 - 6:30 pm in the Piano Lab, Hillel 101
- Level 1 (open to beginners)
- Tuition: $200
- Students will be expected to practice regularly throughout the week. Practice length is generally between 15-30 minutes per practice session.
- An acoustic or digital piano with 88 weighted keys is required for practice at home. Experiencing Piano does not provide practice instruments for rental or purchase.
- Piano books are included in the tuition, and will be purchased by the program. Students are expected to bring their books to every class.
- Adaptors and headsets for the keyboards will be provided.
The instructor will not make up the time missed in a situation where a student is absent for any reason.
- If the class is cancelled due to inclement weather, or a different emergency situation, the class will be made up at a time that is convenient for the instructor and the class.
- If a student is late for a class the missed time will not be made up.