Experiencing Piano for Kids
Experiencing Piano is the only program at Mizzou that offers private and group instruction exclusively to young beginner pianists ages 6-9. Lessons are taught on campus by Mizzou piano majors, and the program is coordinated by Rachel Menscher.
Experiencing Piano consists of a one-year curriculum of Group Piano and private instruction for beginning piano students ages 6-9 followed by a second year of private instruction only. Through the combination of group and individual piano instruction, students learn the fundamentals of music reading and music-making at the piano. The primary goals of the program are to develop creative thinking skills and basic musicianship. Tools used are improvisation, ear training, rhythm training, creative movement and ensemble playing. Experiencing Piano serves as a teaching internship and observation opportunity for college students enrolled in Piano Pedagogy.
Experiencing Piano Group Class will take place in the Piano Lab, which is in Hillel 101. The Piano Lab has twelve digital pianos. Individual lessons (Spring semester) will be in the Fine Arts Building in a studio with a grand piano. Piano books are included in the tuition and are provided by the instructor.
Tuition & Payment
Fall Semester - $300 (includes weekly 45-minute group instruction, books and materials)
Spring Semester - $350 (includes weekly 30-minute group and 30-minute private instruction, books and materials)
Payment is due prior to or on the first day of group class.
- Credit card payments can be made in-person at 140 Fine Arts Building (the main music office) Monday – Friday 8am – 12pm & 1pm – 5pm. You may also call (573) 882-2606 to make a payment. If someone is unable to answer your call, please leave a message with your name and phone number and we will return your call as soon as possible.
- Checks should be made out to the MU School of Music and can be dropped off or mailed to the address below. Please indicate the name of the applicant on the check.
- Cash is only accepted in-person at the music office.
Community Music Program
140 Fine Arts Building
Columbia, MO 65211
Fall Semester (13 sessions): September 6th - December 6th
- Wednesdays, 5:00-5:45pm in the Piano Lab, Hillel 101
- 45-minutes of group class
- No class Thanksgiving week (Nov. 22nd)
- Applications accepted until August 18th. In-person interviews with prospective student and a parent or guardian are required to determine readiness for enrollment in the program.
- Limit: 6 students
Spring Semester (13 sessions): January 31st - May 2nd
- Wednesdays, 4:45 - 5:45 pm in the Piano Lab, Hillel 101
- 30-minutes of group class
- 30-minutes of individual instruction
- No class during Spring Break (March 26th-30th)
- Limit: 6 students
- An acoustic or digital piano with 88 weighted keys is required for practice at home
- Students will be required to practice regularly throughout the week. Daily practice at home needs to be as important as completing homework for school.
- Practice time will begin at around 15 minutes a day and will lengthen to around 30 minutes by the end of the semester.
- Parents are encouraged to attend the lessons/classes. This will equip parents to monitor practice at home.
- Parents are asked to facilitate, encourage, and aid in practice at home. Any concerns or issues should be immediately brought to Dr. Savvidou's attention
Lesson Cancelation Policy
- A 24-hour advance notification is expected of both parties for lesson cancellation.
- Lessons cancelled by the student or parent without prior 24-hour notice will not be made up and will not be refunded. Lessons cancelled by the teacher must be made up. Lessons cancelled due to inclement weather will be made up.
- If a student is late for a lesson the missed time will not be made up.
Saturday, May 6th