Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 3:00pm to 9:00pm
Add to Calendar
Interested students may audition for placement in one of two big bands and several combos. Jazz auditions are open to all students, regardless of major. Improvisation is optional for big band participants but required for combo participants. If you have any questions about the jazz audition process, please feel free to contact Dr. Sam Griffith at GriffithSV@missouri.edu
Jazz audition schedule:
Thursday, August 16
• 3:00-9:00 p.m. – Rhythm Section (Loeb 112)
Friday, August 17
• 3:00-9:00 p.m. – Trumpet/Trombone/Saxophone/Vocals (Loeb 112)
Click here to sign up for an audition.
Audition Information for all Jazz Ensembles:
• Prepared Etude (optional for big band - available here https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/jazz)
• Prepared etudes can be used to help determine chair and/or band placement. They are encouraged but not a required part of the audition process.
• Sight-reading (big band only)
• Improvisation (required for combo, optional for big band)
◦ Players select a tune of their choice. Performers newer to improvisation are encouraged to improvise over a blues. More advanced improvisers are encouraged to select a more challenging tune.
• Various grooves at a variety of tempos (swing, shuffle, bossa nova, funk, ballad with brushes, etc.)
• Soloing (optional – if demonstrating solo ability, be prepared to solo over the form of a song, as well as trade 4 or 8 bar phrases).
• Two pieces, memorized (one medium-up tempo swing, 32 bars maximum; one ballad, 16 bars maximum)
• Improvisation is optional
• If you have selected a tune that falls outside the Great American Songbook, please have your own accompaniment prepared.
Rosters will be posted by Monday, August 20 at 9 AM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted.
Rehearsals will begin Monday, August 20, for Big Bands and Thursday, August 23, for Combos.