FALL 2017 AUDITION INFORMATION
Choral Ensembles – Information for New Students
Hearings for choral ensemble placement will take place August 17-18th for any student who is interested in joining a choral ensemble for the fall semester. Please sign up online for an audition time here.
At the hearing, you will:
- Bring your already-completed placement form (available at the sign-up site).
- Present a classical (contest-level) solo. If possible, please bring a recorded accompaniment; otherwise, we will provide an accompanist.
- Vocalize and demonstrate the strengths and flexibility of your voice.
- Demonstrate your sight-reading skills.
- Demonstrate your tonal memory skills.
The complete process takes approximately seven minutes. For more information, visit: https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/choirs
Concert Bands and Orchestra (all woodwind, brass, and percussion students) – Information for New and Returning Students
All new and returning instrumental students are required to audition for ensemble placement at the beginning of the fall semester. Non-music majors interested in joining University Band will not need to audition.
String players: New string players should prepare the excerpts for their instrument and be prepared to play a short solo or etude of their choice. Returning string players should prepare the excerpts for their instrument only. Please be aware that all orchestra students are required to enroll in applied lessons each semester of participation in orchestra.
Concert bands audition schedule:
Friday, August 18
- 12:00-3:00 p.m. – Saxophone/Clarinet (Loeb 201)
- 12:00-1:30 p.m. – Percussion (Loeb 112)
- 3:30-5:00 p.m. – Flute/Oboe/Bassoon (Loeb 204)
- 3:30-5:30 p.m. – Trombone/Tuba/Euphonium (Loeb 201)
- 6:00-8:30 p.m. – Trumpet/Horn (Loeb 201)
String audition schedule:
- Tuesday, August 22 4:00-7:00 p.m. – Strings (Loeb 201)
- Wednesday, August 23 7:00-9:00 p.m. – Strings (Loeb 201)
Rosters will be posted online by Saturday, August 19th at 4 PM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted. Concert band rehearsals will begin on Monday, August 21st and orchestra rehearsals will begin Thursday, August 24th.
Interested students may audition for placement in one of two big bands and several combos. Jazz auditions are open to all students, regardless of major.
Jazz audition schedule:
- Thursday, August 17 3:00-9:00 p.m. – Rhythm Section (Loeb 112)
- Friday, August 18 3:00-9:00 p.m. – Trumpet/Trombone/Saxophone/Vocals (Loeb 112)
To sign up for a jazz audition, click here.
Audition Information for all Jazz Ensembles:
- Prepared Etude (available here https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/jazz)
- Players must select one blues tune and one standard of their choice. The tunes must be performed from memory. Bassists must walk or play an appropriate line for two choruses on each, and improvise a solo. Please provide your own accompaniment.
- Various grooves at a variety of tempos (swing, shuffle, bossa nova, funk, ballad with brushes, etc.)
- Prepared Reading Etude
- Two pieces, memorized (one medium-up tempo swing, 32 bars maximum; one ballad, 16 bars maximum)
- Optional improvisation on tunes selected
- Provide your own accompaniment
Rosters will be posted by Saturday, August 19 at 4 PM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted.
Rehearsals will begin Monday, August 21 for Big Bands and Thursday, August 24 for Combos.
Please call 573-882-3438 or visit https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/marching-mizzou for more information about Marching Mizzou auditions.
Voice Area Auditions – Lesson Placement for New Voice Majors and Auditions for Non-Music Majors (space permitting)
Purpose: To place new students into private teaching studios.
Audition: Friday, August 18, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. in McKee Gymnasium 204. Enter McKee on the north side of the building. Please sign up for an audition time here.
Preparation: Please prepare a song that has printed sheet music (Classical or Musical Theatre are most commonly done). If you do not have a prepared selection, you will be asked to sing “My Country ’Tis of Thee.” An accompanist will be provided.
Acceptance: Music major teacher assignments will be posted on Professor Seitz’s (FAB 263) door by Thursday, August 24. Non-music major acceptances will also be posted that same day.
Piano Area Auditions – Lesson Placement for Non-Music Majors
NOTE: Piano students who have previously auditioned and been accepted to a piano program do not have to audition again in August.
Requirement to audition: 3 years of previous classical-style study.
Auditions: Auditions will be held Thursday and Friday of registration week: Thursday, August 24, 1:00-4:00 p.m., and Friday, August 25, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. No appointment is necessary; just go to Room 208 in the Fine Arts Building when you’re ready and see Dr. Janice Wenger.
Preparation: Be prepared to play two contrasting pieces, at least one must be memorized. Neither has to be long—in fact shorter is better. You will be asked to sight-read a simple piano piece.
Acceptance: If qualified, student is placed on waiting list until the third day of class, pending space in piano studios.
Music Major/Minor: If you have not already auditioned on piano as a music major or minor, you will need to audition on Monday, August 21, and you need to contact Dr. Wenger directly to make an appointment for that day (WengerJ@missouri.edu).
Ensemble Rehearsal Times
- Wind Ensemble – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Symphonic Band – Tuesday/Thursday 12:15-1:45 PM
- University Band – Tuesday 7:00-9:00 PM
- Marching Mizzou – Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday 4:15-6:00 PM (Fall semester only)
- Concert Jazz Band – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:00-2:50 PM
- Studio Jazz Band – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 3:00-3:50 PM
- University Philharmonic Orchestra – Tuesday/Thursday 4:00-6:00 PM, Wednesday 7:00-8:30 PM
- University Singers – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Choral Union – Thursday 7:00-9:00 PM
- Concert Chorale – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:00-2:50 PM
- Hitt Street Harmony – Tuesday/Thursday 12:15-1:30 PM
- Show Me Opera – Monday/Friday 3:00-5:00PM, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 4:00-6:00 PM