Mission, Values, and Facilities
The School of Music recognizes that students with diverse identities enrich the educational experience of all by offering multiple perspectives. To promote diversity and a community of inclusivity, we welcome the application of students who contribute to the diversity of our program based on their ability, age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, race, religious choice, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, or veteran status.
Our mission is
- To prepare students to make meaningful contributions in the world as performers, composers, teachers, and scholars.
- To expand the understanding and impact of music through faculty and student performance, composition, and research.
- To foster appreciation for music and participation in musical activities throughout the campus.
- To enrich and engage the broader community through performances and educational programs.
- To serve — as the School of Music of Missouri’s flagship university — as a resource for the state, the nation, and the world.
- Music’s unique ability to improve the human condition.
- Musical citizenship and collaboration — serving and connecting with others through music.
- Creativity, innovation, and diversity of perspectives.
- A close-knit learning and performance environment, with extensive faculty-student interaction.
- The University’s stated commitment to Respect, Responsibility, Discovery, and Excellence.
The MU School of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music as was first acknowledged in 1933.
Reservation of School Facilities by Non-School Parties
To a reasonable extent, all school performance spaces, rehearsal spaces, and classrooms must be kept available for last-minute rehearsals and meetings. However, there may be times when these facilities could be made available to other organizations on a very limited basis, and generally include a use fee. Please contact the School of Music office at 573-882-2604 for inquiries.
Use of School of Music Practice Rooms Policy
Practicing for techniques classes, lessons, and ensembles is essential for success for School of Music students. Therefore, the School of Music practice rooms are restricted for use by University of Missouri students currently enrolled in MU music courses. No exceptions are made to this policy. More information about special COVID restrictions on practice rooms can be found at https://music.missouri.edu/news/fall-2020-school-music.