International Composers Festival Application
Application Deadline: 5 PM Central November 17, 2017
Festival Application Submission Guidelines
- Complete the online application process here: https://app.getacceptd.com/mizzou
- Under the Program Groups tab, select 2018 Mizzou International Composers Festival
- Under the Program tab, select Online Application
Follow the Online Application Guidelines
- Pay the $22.00 application fee.
- Upload three scores of original works with contrasting instrumentation. One score must be written for chamber orchestra or large ensemble. If you have a piece scored for Alarm Will Sound’s instrumentation, listed below, please include that work as one of the three submitted scores.
- Label all scores with your name and contact information.
- Upload recordings of the same works. Live recordings preferred but MIDI recordings are accepted.
- Upload a Resume (two page maximum)
The Mizzou New Music Initiative is excited to announce the Eighth Annual Mizzou International Composers Festival, July 23 – 28, 2018 on the campus of the University of Missouri. July 20 and July 29 are travel days with events starting at 5PM on July 20, 2018 for selected resident composers.
Eight composers from around the world will be selected through a portfolio application process to compose a work to be performed by the internationally acclaimed new music ensemble, Alarm Will Sound. Composers will take part in discussions and masterclasses with Chen Yi and Alex Mincek; take part in workshops with Alarm Will Sound and receive a professional live recording of the premiere performance of their work.
Composers selected as resident participants for the festival will be expected to compose a work for Alarm Will Sound’s complete instrumentation, see below, lasting up to 8 minutes in duration. Each selected resident composer must submit a finished preliminary score by April 16, 2018 for review by Alarm Will Sound, and professionally prepared scores (2) and parts of the final work are due by May 7, 2018. Due to rehearsal/technical demands we will not be able to program works that include electronics.
Festival tuition, room, and board for each selected composer will be provided through the generous contributions of the Sinquefield Charitable Foundation. Selected composers will need to pay for transportation to and from Columbia, MO.
Alarm Will Sound's Instrumentation:
- Oboe/English horn
- E-flat Clarinet/B-flat Clarinet
- B-flat Clarinet/ Bass Clarinet
- Trombone/Bass Trombone
- Percussion: Two players with standard multi-percussion, mallet percussion, and drumkit.
- Violin 1
- Violin 2/ Viola
- Double Bass