SPRING 2019 AUDITION INFORMATION
Concert Bands and Orchestra (all woodwind, brass, and percussion students) – Information for New and Returning Students
All new and returning instrumental students are required to audition for ensemble placement at the beginning of the spring semester. Non-music majors interested in joining University Band will not need to audition.
String players: String placements from Fall 2018 will remain the same for Spring 2019. If you are not currently a member of the University Philharmonic Orchestra and would like to join, please contact Prof. Barry Ford (FordBM@missouri.edu) to set up an audition time.
Audition sign-ups are available by area at the following links.
Brass sign-ups: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-concert
Woodwind sign-ups: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-woodwind
Percussion sign-ups: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-percussion
Monday, January 21, 2019
- 1-2 PM Trombone in Loeb 201
- 2-4 PM Clarinet/Saxophone in Loeb 204
- 3-3:45 PM Trumpet in Loeb 201
- 4-5:30 PM Flute/Oboe/Bassoon in Loeb 201
- 7-9 PM Percussion in Loeb 112
Note: Horns, euphoniums, and tubas will not be re-auditioning for Spring 2019. Tubas/Euphoniums who are interested in playing in a concert ensemble in Spring 2019 but did not play in a concert ensemble in Fall 2018 should contact Dr. Angelo Manzo (email@example.com) to arrange an individual audition. Horns who are interested in playing in a concert ensemble in Spring 2019 but did not play in a concert ensemble in Fall 2018 should contact Dr. Marcia Spence (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange an individual audition.
Audition excerpts can be downloaded from the right sidebar of this page.
Rosters will be posted by Tuesday, January 22 at 10 AM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted. Rehearsals will begin January 22 for Symphonic Band, University Philharmonic Orchestra, and University Band and January 23 for Wind Ensemble.
Interested students may audition for placement in Concert Jazz Band and several combos. Jazz auditions are open to all students, regardless of major. Improvisation is optional for big band participants, but required from combo participants. If you have any questions about the jazz audition process, please feel free to reach out to Dr. Sam Griffith (GriffithSV@missouri.edu).
Auditions will take place Tuesday, January 22, 4:00-8:00 PM in Loeb 112. Audition sign-ups are available at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-jazz
Rosters will be posted by Wednesday, January 23 at 10 AM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted. Rehearsals will begin Wednesday, January 23 for Concert Jazz Band and Thursday, January 24 for Combos.
- Prepared Etude: optional for big band - available at https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/jazz
- Prepared etudes can be used to help determine chair and/or band placement. They are encouraged but not a required part of the audition process.
- Sight-reading (big band only)
- Improvisation (required for combo, optional for big band)
- Players select a tune of their choice. Performers newer to improvisation are encouraged to improvise over a blues. More advanced improvisers are encouraged to select a more challenging tune.
- Various grooves at a variety of tempos (swing, shuffle, bossa nova, funk, ballad with brushes, etc.)
- Soloing (optional – if demonstrating solo ability be prepared to solo over the form of a song, as well trade 4 or 8 bar phrases).
- Two pieces, memorized (one medium-up tempo swing, 32 bars maximum; one ballad, 16 bars maximum)
- Improvisation is optional.
- If you have selected a tune that falls outside the Great American Songbook, please have your own accompaniment prepared.
Choral Ensembles – Information for New Students
Hearings for choral ensemble placement will take place December 3-5, 2018, 10:00 AM-1:00 PM in the Fine Arts Building, Room 210 for any student who is interested in joining a choral ensemble for the spring semester. Current members of the choral ensembles will not need to re-audition. Please sign up online for an audition time at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0b4bafa823a0ff2-choral or contact email@example.com to arrange an alternate time.
- Bring your already completed audition form (available at https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/choirs).
- We will vocalize you to test your range to determine your voice part. If you would prefer to bring a prepared solo, we will be glad to hear that, too, but it is not required for the audition.
- Demonstrate your sight-reading skills.
- Demonstrate your tonal memory skills.
The complete process takes approximately seven minutes. For more information, visit: https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/choirs
Ensemble Rehearsal Times
- Wind Ensemble – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Symphonic Band – Tuesday/Thursday 12:15-1:45 PM
- University Band – Tuesday 7:00-9:00 PM
- Concert Jazz Band – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:00-2:50 PM
- University Philharmonic Orchestra – Tuesday/Thursday 4:00-6:00 PM, Wednesday 7:00-8:30 PM
- University Singers – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Choral Union – Thursday 7:00-9:00 PM
- Concert Chorale – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:00-2:50 PM
- Hitt Street Harmony – Tuesday/Thursday 12:15-1:30 PM
- Show Me Opera – Monday/Friday 3:00-5:00PM, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 4:00-6:00 PM