SPRING 2020 AUDITION INFORMATION
Please see below for Spring 2020 ensemble audition information. Complete details can be downloaded here.
Choral Ensembles – Information for NEW students
Hearings for choral ensemble placement will take place December 2-4, 2019, 10:00 AM-1:00 PM in the Fine Arts Building, Room 210 for any student who is interested in joining a choral ensemble for the spring semester. Current members of the choral ensembles will not need to re-audition. Please sign up online for an audition time at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-choral2.
- Bring your already completed audition form (available at https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/choirs).
- We will vocalize you to test your range to determine your voice part. If you would prefer to bring a prepared solo, we will be glad to hear that, too, but it is not required for the audition.
- Demonstrate your sight-reading skills.
- Demonstrate your tonal memory skills.
The complete process takes approximately seven minutes. For more information, visit: https://music.missouri.edu/ensemble/choirs
Concert Bands and Orchestra – Information for new and returning woodwind, brass, and percussion students
All new and returning instrumental students are required to audition for ensemble placement at the beginning of the spring semester. Non-music majors interested in joining University Band will not need to audition.
Special Note for Spring 2020: Due to Wind Ensemble and University Philharmonic Orchestra special performances early Spring 2020, the membership for these two ensembles will remain the same as it was in the Fall with some additions/substitutions for students who are student teaching. These will be determined by the audition. Results from the Spring auditions will not take effect until after the MMEA performance for orchestra and after the CBDNA performance for Wind Ensemble. As in previous semesters, Symphonic Band and University Band will be reseated entirely based on audition results.
String players: String placements from Fall 2019 will remain the same for Spring 2020. If you are not currently a member of the University Philharmonic Orchestra and would like to join, please contact Prof. Barry Ford (FordBM@missouri.edu) to set up an audition time.
Note: Tubas and euphoniums will not be re-auditioning for Spring 2020. Tubas/Euphoniums interested in playing in a concert ensemble in Spring 2020 but did not play in a concert ensemble in Fall 2019 should contact Dr. Angelo Manzo (email@example.com) to arrange an individual audition.
Audition sign-ups are available by area at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-wind
Monday, January 20, 2020 *Note room location change!
- 1-2 PM Trombone in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 132
- 2-4 PM Clarinet/Saxophone in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 132
- 3-3:45 PM Trumpet in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 385
- 4-5 PM Horn in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 385
- 4-5:30 PM Flute/Oboe/Bassoon in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 132
- 7-9 PM Percussion in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 132
The audition process will take approximately 4 minutes for wind instruments and 5 minutes for percussion instruments. Audition music is posted on the right sidebar of this page.
Rosters will be posted by Tuesday, January 21 at 10 AM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted. Rehearsals will begin January 21 for Symphonic Band, University Philharmonic Orchestra, and University Band and January 22 for Wind Ensemble.
Mizzou jazz ensembles are open to all students regardless of major. Students may audition for placement in big band or combo. The Concert and Studio Jazz Bands perform 2-3x a semester, on and off campus. Jazz Combos perform multiple times a semester (1-4x), on and off campus. If you have any questions about the jazz audition process, please reach out to Dr. Sam Griffith at GriffithSV@missouri.edu
Auditions for big bands will include 1-3 sight-reading examples selected from classic jazz charts. Students are also encouraged to learn one (or two) of the posted jazz etudes. Improvisation is also encouraged, but optional for students comfortable with soloing. Chord changes for the etudes are provided and can used to improvise over.
Auditions for combos will include improvisation on 1-2 tunes of the student’s choice. Students should select tunes that they are comfortable with and demonstrate their abilities.
Auditions will take place Tuesday, January 21, 4:00-8:00 PM in Sinquefield Music Center, Room 182. The audition process will take approximately 10 minutes. Audition sign-ups are available at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAFA823A0FF2-jazz2.
Rosters will be posted by Wednesday, January 22 at 10 AM. Adjustments to registration will need to be made immediately after audition results are posted. Rehearsals will begin Wednesday, January 22 for Concert Jazz Band; Thursday, January 23 for Combos; and Friday, January 24 for Studio Jazz Band.
- Sight-reading (big band only)
- Improvisation (required for combo, optional for big band)
- Players select a tune of their choice. Performers newer to improvisation are encouraged to improvise over a blues. More advanced improvisers are encouraged to select a more challenging tune.
- Prepared Etude (optional for big band - available here music.missouri.edu/ensemble/jazz
Prepared etudes can be used to help determine chair and/or band placement. They are encouraged but not a required part of the audition process.
- Various grooves at a variety of tempos (swing, shuffle, bossa nova, funk, ballad with brushes, etc.)
- Sight-reading (big band only)
- Soloing (optional – if demonstrating solo ability, be prepared to solo over the form of a song, as well as trade 4 or 8 bar phrases).
- Two pieces, memorized (one medium-up tempo swing, 32 bars maximum; one ballad, 16 bars maximum)
- Improvisation is optional
- If you have selected a tune that falls outside the Great American Songbook, please have your own accompaniment prepared.
Ensemble Rehearsal Times
- Wind Ensemble – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Symphonic Band – Tuesday/Thursday 12:15-1:45 PM
- University Band – Tuesday 7:00-9:00 PM
- Concert Jazz Band – Monday/Wednesday 2:00-3:15 PM
- Studio Jazz Band – Friday 2:00-3:45 PM
- University Philharmonic Orchestra – Tuesday/Thursday 4:00-6:00 PM, Wednesday 7:00-8:30 PM
- Marching Mizzou – Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday 4:15-6:00 PM (Fall semester only)
- University Singers – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Choral Union – Thursday 7:00-9:00 PM
- Concert Chorale – Tuesday/Thursday 12:15-1:45 PM
- Hitt Street Harmony – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 2:00-2:50 PM
- Show-Me Opera – Monday/Friday 3:00-5:00PM, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 4:00-6:00 PM