Frequently Asked Questions
Contact for any additional questions: Susan Worstell, WorstellS@missouri.edu, 573-884-1604, 135 Fine Arts Building
What are the Fine Arts Building hours?
When school is in session, the building is open every day Sunday through Saturday 7:00 am-11:00 pm. The second floor stairwells lock at 9 pm on weekdays and all day on the weekend. Holiday, intersession, and any other special hours will be e-mailed and posted.
How do I get a permission number?
All permission numbers must be requested to Susan Worstell via e-mail. Please include section numbers when asking for permission numbers. If you don't know the section number, then the name of the ensemble, the name of your instructor for lessons, or the time the class meets is fine. We are unable to look classes up by the 5 digit class number so course numbers (four digits like 2455, 1842, etc.) and sections are preferred but class name and/or time is usually enough.
I have a schedule conflict and myZou won’t let me register. What do I do?
First, talk to your instructor(s) and work out a resolution. Then get a schedule conflict letter from the School of Music office that you can take to 125 Jesse Hall, the Registrar’s office, to register.
When is the registration deadline?
The registration deadlines may be found at the registrar’s website, registrar.missouri.edu.
I have a hold on my account. What do I do?
Click on Details to see what the hold is for and follow the directions. Most holds are for payment issues or immunization records. If you have trouble viewing your holds, contact Susan, WorstellS@missouri.edu, and she is happy to look it up for you.
How do I obtain a keycard, locker, and/or large instrument storage key for the Fine Arts Building?
Contact Susan Worstell in 135 Fine Arts Building to obtain any of these items. Please note only students enrolled in lessons, ensemble, or technique class may receive a keycard for access to the second floor practice rooms after hours.
The School of Music has installed a key-card door system for evening and weekend hours to provide a measure of security and protection for those students practicing in the building when classes are not meeting. The key card ensures that each student entering the building has official permission to do so; unauthorized persons are thus prevented from entering the practice facilities area, from using and perhaps harming any instruments, and from endangering authorized students. In accepting a key card, the recipient signs an agreement which states that he/she accepts the following responsibilities: (1) to maintain personal possession of this card at all times, (2) not to loan this card to others or permit others to use their card, and (3) to return this card to the Music Office on or before the last day of the final examination period at the end of each semester. According to the signed agreement, failure to return the card (by either loss or neglect) will result in a $25 charge being imposed. If this charge is not paid, students may be prevented from enrolling in future classes, receiving a diploma, or receiving a transcript from the university.
Practice Rooms - who, when, rules
Anyone enrolled in myZou for applied lessons, an ensemble, or a techniques course (non-major group piano and voice classes included) can sign up for a practice room. Generally, sign-ups for the locked practice rooms (piano majors) occur the Friday of the first week of school, and all other practice room sign-ups occur the week after school starts.
Student Responsibilities for Use of Practice Rooms
- No smoking or tobacco use in practice rooms or surrounding areas.
- No food or beverages in practice rooms.
- Do not use equipment in the practice rooms for purposes other than those for which it is intended (i.e., a piano is not intended to be used as a desktop).
- If a person who is scheduled to practice is not in his/her room by ten minutes after the time slot begins, then anyone may use the room. During hours marked “open,” the room will be available to all students on a first-come basis.
- Because of the possibility of theft, instruments, books, and personal items should not be left in the practice rooms.
- You must have been issued a key card in order to use the practice rooms between 9:00 p.m. and closing during the weekdays and when the building is open on weekends.
- Since a large number of people use the practice rooms during the day and night, it would be appreciated if everyone would help keep the rooms neat and clean. Please pick up any trash found in the rooms and place it in the proper container.