Minors in Music
The School of Music offers three options for a minor - the MInor in Music, the Minor in Musical Theatre, and the Minor in Jazz Studies. For more information on the Minor in Jazz Studies, go here. All music minors allow a student the opportunity to earn a credential containing a balance of academic and practical musical knowledge without pursuing a music major. The Minor in Musical Theatre is an interdisciplinary collaboration between the School of Music and the Department of Theatre. Designation of a completed minor will appear on the diploma and transcript along with the major degree.
Minor in Music Requirements:
- A total of 18 hours of music courses, with a minimum number in each category listed below. Six credits must be 2000-level or higher. Because of the prerequisites that many courses have, the course numbers suggested below (in parentheses) usually constitute the minimum requirements.
- Music Theory (Four hours: Music 1220 and 1221)
- Music History (Six hours: Music 1322, 2307, and 2308)
- Music Performance (Four hours, chosen from among appropriate applied classes [generally Music 2445] and/or ensemble courses [e.g., Music 1841 or 1842]).
- The student chooses one of the above categories for his or her "emphasis area" and earns at least 4 additional hours in that category with the approval of his music advisor. If history or theory is the emphasis area, then the normal course sequence must be followed.
Minor in Musical Theatre Requirements:
|MUS_THRY 1220||Tonal Music Theory I||2|
|or MUS_THRY 1213||Introduction to Music Theory|
|or MUSIC_NM 1211||Fundamentals of Music I|
|MUS_ENS 1842||Choral Ensemble||1|
|MUS_ENS 1865||Opera Workshop||1|
|MUS_APMS 2455||Studio Instruction||1|
|or MUSIC_NM 2445||Studio Instruction|
|MUS_H_LI 4376||American Musicals||3|
|THEATR 1420||Stage Movement for the Actor||3|
|or THEATR 3420||Acting I|
|THEATR 2300||Production Workshop I||1|
|or THEATR 2410||Performance Workshop|
|THEATR 2800||Principles of Script Analysis||3|
|THEATR 4460||Musical Theatre Performance||3|