Minor Degree PlanThe Minor allows a non-music MU student to earn a credential containing a balance of academic and practical musical knowledge. Designation of a completed Minor will appear on the diploma and transcript along with the major degree. Required courses in music theory and history are the same as those taken by music majors.
- A total of 18 hours of music courses, with a minimum number in each category listed below. Six credits must be 2000-level or higher. Because of the prerequisites that many courses have, the course numbers suggested below (in parentheses) usually constitute the minimum requirements.
- Music Theory (Four hours: Music 1220 and 1221)
- Music History (Six hours: Music 1322, 2307, and 2308)
- Music Performance (Four hours, chosen from among appropriate applied classes [generally Music 2445] and/or ensemble courses [e.g., Music 1841 or 1842]).
- The student chooses one of the above categories for his or her "emphasis area" and earns at least 4 additional hours in that category with the approval of his music advisor. If history or theory is the emphasis area, then the normal course sequence must be followed.