Undergraduate Application Process
A degree from the University of Missouri School of Music means being part of a close-knit family of talented students and faculty, as well as being part of a larger community at the state’s flagship university. We offer three majors, two minors, and two certificates in music, providing courses of study that prepare students as emerging music professionals in a wide variety of career paths.
All prospective freshman and transfer music and music education majors must apply/audition for, and be admitted to, the School of Music in addition to meeting all University of Missouri admissions requirements.
Step 1: Apply to the University
General University Admission Policies:
The University admits students on the basis of their chances for success here. The main criteria are the high-school curriculum, test scores and class rank.
Applicants are expected to have followed a college preparatory program with at least 17 units of credit, as follows (one unit equals one year):
- Four units of English - Two units emphasizing composition or writing skills are required; one may be in speech.
- Four units of mathematics - Acceptable courses include algebra I, geometry, algebra II, precalculus/trigonometry/analytic geometry, calculus, and math analysis. Courses such as computer math, programming, consumer math, and accounting are not acceptable.
- Three units of science - At least one must be a laboratory course, such as earth science, biology, chemistry, or physics. Courses such as general science and agricultural science are not acceptable.
- Three units of social studies - Examples are world history, American government, and principles of democracy.
- Two units in a single foreign language
- One unit in fine arts - If you are thinking about majoring in music, you should participate in your school band, orchestra, or choir and take private lessons on your instrument. In addition, a music theory class, where available, is highly recommended.
Step 2: Schedule an Audition
Auditions are primarily heard at our Undergraduate Mizzou Music Days below:
The School of Music holds audition dates each year. These audition dates are for students 1) seeking admission as a music or music education major and/or 2) Students who are seeking scholarship assistance. If you are unable to attend a Mizzou Music Day, auditions can also be arranged at the convenience of the student and individual instructors, however, these cannot be guaranteed. You are highly encouraged to attend one of the Mizzou Music Days listed above.
Step 3: Come to a Mizzou Music Day/Audition Repertoire by Area
Mizzou Music Days offer the chance for our undergraduate prospective students to perform a live audition for consideration for a scholarship and/or admission to the School of Music degree programs. These days also provide opportunities for visiting classes, ensemble rehearsals, and attending specialized meetings focused on financial aid, admissions, housing, and degree programs. The schedule for the upcoming audition day can be found here.
December 5, 2020
February 15, 2021
March 8, 2021
Step 4: Receive an Scholarship Award Letter
Scholarship recommendations are made shortly after the audition day and award letters are typically sent out within two weeks of your audition. The March award letters may take a little longer. More Scholarship Information.
Step 5: Send back your Acceptance Letter
The Award letter usually contains different options for your consideration and an acceptance form. Once you have reached a decision, the acceptance form should be completed and sent back to the School of Music Office as soon as possible.
For information about applying to MU, contact:
Office of Admissions
230 Jesse Hall
Columbia, MO 65211-1300